Sunday, September 18, 2016

Kenya -- My heart (and stomach) are full!

Sorry for the delay in posting this one. I wrote it on the plane on our way back to the US, but with the last month of my life being crazy with moving, it's just now getting posted.


My heart (and stomach) are so full after a week in Kenya! I spent the week getting to know our program members and their kids, talking through their challenges, and being fed so much wonderful food.

The hospitality these people show is humbling. Each day, we visited 2-4 program members. Each invited us into their home, which often times is one room with a bed, couch, few chairs, and a little ledge where they do their cooking. Their whole home was the size of my freshman dorm room, sometimes even smaller. They always offered us up something to eat. Whether it was cake and tea, an avocado/mango/paw paw fruit smoothie, stew, chapati, rice, or githeri (a bean and maze stew). They would send their kids down to the street to get the fresh vegetables needed and get to work. Everything was cooked on a little gas or charcoal burner, as that is their main way of cooking. All of the food was amazing! Their wasn't one thing I didn't like. And the only seasoning they use is salt. I attempted to take as many cooking lessons from them as possible (including trying to learn to cut cabbage quickly without cutting off my finger)!

While preparing the food and eating, we would visit with the kids and get updates on them, as they were on school break. We would learn the stories behind each person and the struggles they were currently facing in their businesses. The stories of struggle are real, but the hope, hard work, and inspiration is unmatched. Whether it was a dad trying to raise his 3 kids after his wife left for another man, a mom raising her kids after she left her abusive husband, or a widow supporting her family after her husband died from HIV. The stories are tough, but their perseverance and faith in God are so strong. I would love to share more about these families and their stories, so please ask me sometime :)

Nairobi was starkly different from rural Uganda. It's a large city with what seemed like endless slums. It's dirty, polluted, and the driving is crazy. Their public transportation system has flashing lights and blares American rap music as you drive around. English is much more prevalent, except for those who are from Tanzania. The people, their hearts, and their faith are the same though.

It's hard for me to put into words Kenya. I've had two 9 hour flights to process and I'm still not sure. It's heartbreaking to see the slums (especially the old ones that haven't been rebuilt) and knowing that just last quarter a few of the kids weren't in school because their mom couldn't afford it. I learned just how important it is to help empower these people to be able to start a trade/business so that they can continually support themselves and put food on the table for their families. They are all such hard-workers. They want the best for their kids. But unforeseen circumstances prevent that from happening sometimes. This is why Under The Same Tree is so important. Not only are they finding sponsors to help support the kid's school fees, but they are also providing micro-finance loans to help the members expand their businesses or get started with something else so they can fully support their families. The program member I spent a day with, Neema, has already paid back her first loan and has taken a larger one out to expand her business further. This program is helping to make a difference in people's lives who are just trying to find some laundry to wash for the day so they can put food on the table for their kids that evening.

I have so many specific stories and pictures from this trip. I would love to share more with you, and if you are interested in getting involved with UTST, explaining the child sponsorship or family empowerment program.  The bonds and friendships I formed on this trip I can't put into words. I feel blessed to have so many friends that are half way around the world! I'm looking forward to going back to visit again sometime soon...which I would love to have some friends join me for :)

P.S...keep an eye out for an opportunity to help in a small way soon!

1 comment:

  1. Um yes, sign me up for a return trip someday... So good to read this Carly.

    ReplyDelete